Saturday, March 24, 2012

Hotel Babylon by Anonymous & Imogen Edwards-Jones

                                                                     

Hotel Babylon is another of the sub-culture books that I love so much. It's a behind the scenes look at the luxury hotel industry, with the best stories of an industry veteran condensed into one 24-hour nightmare shift. I did learn a great deal about the hotel industry although I've never stayed in a hotel of that caliber.

The book is packed full of anecdotes about the outlandish things that people do when they stay in hotels. There are stories about many celebrities and the author isn't afraid to name names. It's set in London but I imagine that the mindset is the same  in hotels all over the world.

The author has several other "confidential" books; I haven't read any of the others but I am intrigued by Air Confidential.  There is also a Hotel Babylon series on the BBC network. Fans of Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential will enjoy this one as will anyone who is curious about the high end hotel industry.

As always, feel free to drop me a line at jeffsemonis@yahoo.com or find me on twitter @jeffsbookcase.

No comments: