Thursday, February 23, 2012

Books I Read as a Kid - From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

                                                                 


I thought this book was awesome when I was a kid. Twenty or so years later I just read part of it and I still thinks it's awesome. It's the story of two siblings, Claudia & Jamie, who run away from home and live in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.

There is a mystery of sorts involved but I don't really remember what the solution to that was. What I do remember from reading this as a kid was the sense of adventure. Good books, childrens and otherwise, are supposed to take you to another place without you noticing that it has happened. This book did that for me every time.

I also remember there being mention of a restaurant called Chock Full O'Nuts and this confused me greatly as a kid; I wondered why anyone would call a restaurant that. I just checked online and learned about the chain. It's apparently been brought back so I might check it out next time I get to go to New York.

It also won a Newberry Medal but that's not why you should read it. You should read it because it's good. If you don't believe me, or the Newberry people, you can read a sample online at the publishers web site.

As always you can reach me at jeffsemonis at yahoo.com or in the comments below. I'm also on Twitter @Jeffsbookcase.

No comments: