Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Books I Read as a Kid - The Encyclopedia Brown Series

I had a lot of these as a kid. Encyclopedia Brown was the son of the local police chief and often helped his father solve crimes. The books were made up of short stories that gave the readers all the clues to solve the mystery.

I almost never got the solutions right but they were great fun to read. They were probably my first exposure to the concept of deduction from the information given to you, at least as it pertains to solving a mystery. They would make a great gift for kids that are interested in mysteries but not yet old enough for the Sherlock Holmes canon.

There were quite a few of them out when I was younger and apparently a lot more have been released since then. There was also a tv show that I don't think I ever saw but now I kind of want to watch just to see if it was any good.

As awlays feel free to contact me at jeffsemonis at yahoo.com or on twitter @jeffsbookcase.

No comments: