Saturday, June 21, 2008

Rain Fall by Barry Eisler

This is the first book in Eisler's John Rain series. Rain is an assassin who specializes in making it look like an accident. He has rules and never comes off as sociopathic. He likes jazz and fine scotch but just happens to kill people for a living. In this way he is similar to Block's Kellar, who collects stamps but also kills people. The action is always up-tempo and the Tokyo setting is painted vividly. Apparently Eisler worked for the CIA and you can see it in his fiction. If you like hitman fiction or just thrillers in general, pick this up. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series which I think is Hard Rain.

Also, if you like hitman stories, as I do, check out These Guns for Hire edited by J.A. Konrath. It is a short story collection that has a little bit of everything. My personal favorite is the Jeff Strand story because it was hilarious, but they were all entertaining.

As always let me know what you think or email me at jeffsemonis at yahoo.com.

No comments: